Monday 16 July 2012

Organ supply

TVNZ's CloseUp made the case for compensating live organ donors for lost earnings. I can't embed the video, but I show up in it. I argue that moving the deceased organ donation decision from the time of death to the time of estate planning, by allowing compensation for funeral expenses, could help take the heat out of those decisions and overcome a reflexive tendency where families uselessly want to protect the newly deceased.

Their interviewed transplant surgeon thinks paying people for organs is abhorrent but compensating them for forgone earnings isn't bad. I have a hard time seeing the ethical distinction, but whatever framing works is fine by me.

Previously:
Hit the "Organ Markets" tab for all the prior posts on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment