Tuesday 25 May 2010

Restaurants in everything: Conflict Kitchen

Susan sends me this one:
Welcome to Conflict Kitchen’s first iteration, Kubideh Kitchen. Conflict Kitchen is a take-out restaurant that only serves cuisine from countries that the United States is in conflict with. The food is served out of a take-out style storefront, which will rotate identities every 4 months to highlight another country. Each Conflict Kitchen iteration will be augmented by events, performances, and discussion about the the culture, politics, and issues at stake with each county we focus on.
They're in Pittsburgh at the corner of Highland and Baum in East Liberty: about a five minute drive from Susan's old neighborhood.

Conflict Kitchen currently serves Iranian food. They run limited hours as an add-on to The Waffle Shop, which seems as much performance art event as restaurant.

If such a restaurant opened in New Zealand, I may be tempted to recommend that New Zealand declare war on Ethiopia, El Salvador, Peru, and Afghanistan for starters. I'm a pacifist, but I do have my limits. Those limits may be kitfo, yucca, and kadu palow.

4 comments:

  1. what did they do for N. Korean food? steamed sticks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. > I'm a pacifist, but I do have my limits.

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess "in conflict" is defined pretty broadly, since the US is no more at war with Iran than it is with Canada.

    And if conflict means only disagreement on geopolitical ends, well, then almost all nations are "in conflict with" almost all others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who would buy Persian food from some hippie who just started making it and will be moving on to - presumably - Afghan food in four months?

    ReplyDelete