Wednesday 15 September 2010

Emergency Powers

INTERIOR: CORUSCANT, MAIN SENATE CHAMBER - EVENINGWELLINGTON, THE BEEHIVE - AFTERNOON

JAR JAR GERRY BROWNLEE stands in his pod before the chamber, as it floats in the middle of the taking up a vast space.

JAR JAR: BROWNLEE: In response to the direct threat to the Republic Christchurch mesa propose that the Senate Parliament give immediately emergency powers to the Supreme Chancellor Governor in Council.

Uproar. JAR JAR BROWNLEE looks a little sheepish.

Brief silence, then a rolling wave of APPLAUSE. JAR JAR BROWNLEE beams and bows.

PALPATINE KEY rises.

PALPATINE KEY: It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling legislation. I love democracy... I love the Republic Constitutional Monarchy. But I am mild by nature, and I do not desire to see the destruction of democracy. The power you give me I will lay down when this crisis has abated legislation expires, I promise you. And as my first act with this new authority, I will create a grand army of the Republic Earthquake Recovery Commission to counter the increasing threats of the separatists of spending an extra day drafting legislation that takes due account of our constitutional freedoms rather than commencing reconstruction immediately under emergency powers allowing me to strike down any legislation that stands in my way.
For context, see DimPost, Graeme Edgeler, NoRightTurn, Andrew Geddis, Kiwipolitico, NotPC, and Attack of the Clones.

1% chance or less that this leads to the abandoning of the Republic and the formation of the First Southern Oceanic Empire. But would the extra day's delay to craft sound legislation actually have been all that bad? My best guess is that the government actually really doesn't know what bits of legislation would get in the way of rebuilding so it's given itself the power to void all of it. Which kinda points out that it might just have been a bit too complicated for us regular folks to get building consents prior to the Quake.

2 comments:

  1. I smiled with the 'taking up a vast space' description. In addition to the government (and all of us) not knowing all the bits of legislation that would get on the way of rebuilding there is an issue of image. The government want to appear as decisive and willing to do anything to help us poor souls in Christchurch. Never mind about thinking through the consequences.

    Now, if one could get home and contents insurance without a 21 days delay on earthquake coverage that would be something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Luis Or, for that matter, contents insurance at all. State Insurance's underwriter declined me yesterday, for, and I quote: "Because your TV was broken in the quake". For the life of me, I can't fathom the logic behind that one.

    ReplyDelete